Setting up email inMicrosoft Outlook
Now that you’ve switched web hosts, it’s time to set up your new email address. This guide will walk you through the steps to save your existing mail and create the new mailbox in Microsoft Outlook 2010.
Avoid Losing Mailbox Data
When an Outlook application like Microsoft Outlook 2010 is installed on your computer, you can use it to move email, contacts and calendar items from one email to another.
For example, let’s say you have a mailbox set up with your previous web host (e.g. GoDaddy) and another mailbox set up with your new web host (e.g. FastComet). You can add both of them to Outlook. Then, you can use Outlook to export items from your GoDaddy account and import them into your FastComet mailbox.
To do this, you need to create a .pst file, which is an Outlook data file that contains your emails, contacts, calendar, etc. and is saved on your computer.
** If you prefer to access your new email via web login, please visit: https://tx2.fcomet.com:2096/logout/?locale=en
Export Email, Contacts & Calendar
1. Open your Microsoft Outlook application. At the top of the Outlook ribbon, choose the File tab. If you don’t see a File tab in the top left corner, please follow the instructions here to determine the version of Outlook that you have and text me to get the correct export instructions.
2. Choose Options.
3. In the Outlook Options popup box, choose Advanced.
4. Under the Export section, select Export.
5. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
6. Click Outlook Data File (.pst), and then click Next.
7. Select the name of the email account to export, as shown in the image. (Only one account can be exported at a time.)
Make sure that Include subfolders is checked so that everything in the account will be exported: Calendar, Contacts, and Inbox. Choose Next.
8. Click Browse to select where you want to save the Outlook Data File (.pst) and enter a file name. Click OK to continue.
9. Click Finish.
Add a New Mailbox
1. Open Outlook and select File.
2. Click Add Account.
3. Check Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click Next.
4. Select Internet E-mail and click Next.
5. Enter Your Name and E-mail Address.
6. Choose POP3 as your account type.
7. For Incoming Mail server, enter cowboysandindiansonline.com. For Outgoing Mail server (SMTP), enter cowboysandindiansonline.com.
8. In Logon Information enter firstname.lastname@example.org and the password for that account.
9. Click More Settings.
10. Select Outgoing Server and then My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
11. Select Advanced.
12. For Incoming server (POP3) enter 995 and select SSL.
13. For Outgoing server (SMTP) enter 465 and select SSL.
14. Click OK.
15. Click Finish.
Import Email, Contacts & Calendar
1. Open Outlook and select File.
2. Select Open & Export > Import/Export. This starts the Import/Export wizard.
3. Select Import from another program or file and click Next.
4. Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
5. Browse to the .pst file you want to import. Under Options, choose how you want to deal with emails and contacts. Then, click Next.
15. Click Finish. Outlook starts importing the contents of your .pst file immediately. When the progress box disappears, the import is finished.